Organic Chemistry Testing
AST provides an extensive NATA accredited chemical testing service in Organic Chemistry for waters, soils & solids, filters and biota.
Analyses covered by the Organic Section include:
- Waste water bulk properties (BOD, COD, Oil & Grease) – A black labelled plastic bottle is required for BOD. A glass 1L bottle is required for Oil & Grease,
- Herbicides, insecticides and pesticides, with now over 200 different compounds available with 58 targeted on our ultra low level method, and our pesticide suites ever increasing in scope.
- Petroleum Hydrocarbons (including TRH, vTRH, BTEXN, TPH), with or without silica clean-up
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) - AST offers USEPA priority suite (15 compounds)
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - non-biodegradable remnants of formerly used coolants and heat transfer fluids
- Tributyltin, Biocides & Anticoagulants,
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) - now over 60 analytes available including trihalomethanes, haloacetic acids, formaldehyde, acetone and alcohols
- Perfluorinated Compounds - PFOA, PFOS and other perfluorinated compounds. Common places where PFCs can be found are in formerly used refrigerants, fluorosurfactants, and fire-fighting foam
- Cannaboids in hemp plants and hemp-based food products
- Algal Toxins and Cyanotoxins such as Microcystins, Anatoxin-A, and Cylinderospermopsin
- Shellfish Biotoxins
- Taste & Odour compounds (eg Geosmin, 2-MIB), and
- General GC-MS / LC-MS screens for identifying unknowns.
Please contact the laboratory for assistance with selecting analyses and bottle types before sampling.
Typical scenarios where these types of tests may be useful include:
- Waste water compliance monitoring
- Contaminated site assessment,
- Drinking water disinfection bi-products,
- Herbicide & pesticide residue from spray drift or runoff,
- Landfill classification and leachate,
- Fire incident response,
- Spill incident involving fuel or pesticide,
- Shellfish biotoxin compliance monitoring
- THC and CBD food standard compliance
- Air monitoring stations, and
- Boat slipways and antifouling sites.
AST gained NATA accreditation for TRH, vTRH and BTEXN at a previous technical audit. This is in addition to the long standing TPH and BTEX accreditation that AST holds for these methods. Further details can be found in the following PDF document
TRH newsletter (272Kb)