Organic Chemistry Testing
AST provides an extensive NATA accredited chemical testing service in Organic Chemistry for waters, soils & solids, filters and biota.
Analyses covered by the Organic Section include:
- Waste water bulk properties (BOD, COD, Oil & Grease) – A black labelled plastic bottle is required for BOD. A glass 1L bottle is required for Oil & Grease,
- Herbicides, insecticides and pesticides, with now over 200 different compounds available with 58 targeted on our ultra low level method, and our pesticide suites ever increasing in scope.
- Petroleum Hydrocarbons (including TRH, vTRH, BTEXN, TPH), with or without silica clean-up
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) - AST offers USEPA priority suite (15 compounds)
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - non-biodegradable remnants of formerly used coolants and heat transfer fluids
- Tributyltin, Biocides & Anticoagulants,
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) - now over 60 analytes available including trihalomethanes, haloacetic acids, formaldehyde, acetone and alcohols
- Perfluorinated Compounds- PFOA, PFOS and other perfluorinated compounds. Common places where PFCs can be found are in formerly used refrigerants, fluorosurfactants, and fire-fighting foam
- Cannaboids in hemp plants and hemp-based food products
- Algal Toxins and Cyanotoxins such as Microcystins, Anatoxin-A, and Cylinderospermopsin
- Shellfish Biotoxins
- Sewage tracers - Sterols, caffeine, and other pharmaceutical tracers
- Taste & Odour compounds (eg Geosmin, 2-MIB), and
- General GC-MS / LC-MS screens for identifying unknowns.
Please contact the laboratory for assistance with selecting analyses and bottle types before sampling.
Typical scenarios where these types of tests may be useful include:
- Waste water compliance monitoring
- Contaminated site assessment,
- Drinking water disinfection bi-products,
- Herbicide & pesticide residue from spray drift or runoff,
- Landfill classification and leachate,
- Fire incident response,
- Spill incident involving fuel or pesticide,
- Shellfish biotoxin compliance monitoring
- THC and CBD food standard compliance
- Air monitoring stations, and
- Boat slipways and antifouling sites.